Taj Week 14: Is Photographic Memory Real?

Is Photographic Memory Real?

Over the weekend I was, after multiple pleas and asks from a family friend, to watch at least one season of Suits. Although I do enjoy a good TV show, I personally was hesitant to watch overdramatized media; however, I was forced to keep my end of the promise. While beginning the series, I reached the iconic scene which epitomizes the show: when Mike Ross claims to have memorized all Barbi: Law books, and he subsequently recites an entire verse from the choosing of his future boss Harvey Specter.

This scene made me wonder. Is it possible to have photographic memory like Mike Ross? And can someone train themselves to bolster their photographic memory?


Source


My first instinct was to turn to Google and attempt the quintessential, clickbait, online survey which seems to be able to tell a person about any of their animating desires. I took the first survey I found; needless to say I failed and do not possess photographic memory, at least according to BetterHelpPersonality.com.


As a result, I was forced to look elsewhere for answers to my question, so I consulted an article written by a Psychologist William Adams. Adams, a professor at St. Lawrence University in New York, finds that "eidetic imagery" is the "closest thing to the iconic photographic memory" seen in movies and TV shows (Source). He reports that specific individuals dubbed "eidetikers" can "vividly describe" an unfamiliar image with 'startling accuracy" after studying the image "for 30 seconds" (Source). However, Adams acknowledges eidetikers can only "recall broad information" such as the "number of petals on a flower," and they cannot recite large amounts of dense information (Source).


Moreover, according to a Harvard study, eidetic imagery is mostly a "genetic trait" which "occurs in 2-10%" of individuals and cannot be acquired through training or mental drills (Source). Although, the study reports individuals can increase their "general memory" through training exercises such as "learning a new language" or playing "cerebral games like chess" (Source).


Thus, it can be seen that Mike Ross' freakish photographic memory is a fictional trait created by Hollywood.

Comments

  1. Hey Taj! I enjoyed reading your blog since photographic memory has fascinated me for a long time. Ever since I took AP European History last year, the concept of photographic memory has been a common thought. For some reason, I was able to remember a large amount of information from the textbook, even the most obscure ones. I could simply recall an image of hearing or seeing a random fact, such as the fact that William Harvey proved that our circulatory system was one unit (I still remember that to this day). Photographic memory has become even more prominent this year as several of my classes have demanded sharp memory of numerous facts. I have also watched Suits and have admired Mike Ross’s ability to recall the smallest details. As such, I was interested in your explanation of the science behind this ability. I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed when you concluded that such a memory cannot be a reality for humans. Although I am not too familiar with the scientific reasoning for it, I believe that a good memory indicates good health because it implies that the brain is operating well. I am grateful for having a good memory because I know that many people suffer from neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, that devastate their memories. On another note, if I could choose to enhance an aspect of my body, I would most likely choose to improve my memory. It feels good to remember facts whenever necessary, especially on a test, since it plays a key role in my success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taj! I am glad that you are watching Suits because it truly is one of the best shows to ever exist in my opinion. Your exploration of photographic memory through the lens of Mike Ross is quite intriguing. Despite rewatching the show four times, I have never been curious about Mike Ross’ photographic memory and the true science behind it. Your blog effectively captures the essence of the show by highlighting a key scene and using it as a base to dive into a broader discussion about photographic memory. This approach engages readers who may be fans of Suits, like me, while also providing them with interesting and informative content. You demonstrate critical thinking by questioning the feasibility of Mike Ross's photographic memory and then conducting research to find answers. Your use of sources, such as psychologist William Adams and the Harvard study, adds credibility to your argument and enriches the reader's understanding of the topic. Overall, your blog is thought-provoking and well-researched, offering readers a fresh perspective on both Suits and the concept of photographic memory. I very much enjoyed reading your blog and I hope you enjoy watching Suits just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taj! I really enjoyed your blog post this week, especially because your subject of choice was such an intriguing one.
    The wide appeal of a photographic memory is wholly understandable: after all, it seems both convenient and useful, as often demonstrated in media. And importantly, it almost seems plausible; even fictional worlds with natural laws primarily grounded in reality sometimes feature photographic memories as a unique, but not mystical, element.
    It's interesting to learn that even though photographic memories do not exist in reality, there is something that is somewhat close. I was surprised by the statistic that 2-10% of individuals have eidetic imagery; for one, that is a rather large range, but either end of the range is larger than I had expected. It makes me wonder if I might know some eidetikers, and just not know that they are one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of a funny memory that I have made when I was around 11 or 12. For some reason, I was obsessed with self-diagnosing myself with unique traits at the time, and I would use those stupid clickbait YouTube videos to prove that I had said traits. Of course, one of those quirks ended up being photographic memory, and I would proudly tell my friends that I had it all because I was able to recall what color a person’s shirt was. But I digress. It’s interesting to discover that photographic memory ended up not being a real inherent trait after all, although some similar forms of it do exist.
    So far, plenty of your blogs have been taking on this experimental route, where you try to test the validity of your prompt. This blog is obviously no exception. I like how you are able to gather many sources and use legitimate information all while still making this an enjoyable read for me. I seriously applaud you for managing to do that, especially as someone who has a terrible attention span. I appreciate you for writing about a concept that has actually confirmed what I was previously skeptical about, and I’m sure my 11-year-old self would definitely be pleased to hear about this claim.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Julia, Week 12 - I Don't Have Time to Make a Creative Title

Mritsa Week 12: The Power of Social Media

Mritsa Week 14: Lake Tahoe