Mritsa Week 15: Why do we rewatch shows?

I recently read a blog by one of our classmates, who was inspired by the television show Suits, about whether or not photographic memory is real. Suits is one of my favorite shows of all time and I have rewatched it four times. The student’s blog made me wonder why people rewatch shows when they know what will happen.

There's a certain allure to revisiting the stories we know like the back of our hand, a comforting embrace in the form of familiar characters and plotlines. It's the reason why, despite the plethora of new content constantly vying for our attention, we find ourselves drawn back to the same beloved shows and movies time and time again. There is a “sense of security” in knowing what to expect, in immersing ourselves in a world where we are already aware of how the plot plays out (Source). Whether it's the cozy ambiance of a sitcom or the thrilling escapades of an action-packed series, rewatching allows us to rediscover the comfort of familiarity in an ever-changing world (Source).

Beyond the allure of familiarity lies the emotional resonance that keeps us coming back for more. Rewatching a favorite show isn't just about revisiting old friends; it's about reliving the emotional journey that accompanies each viewing (Source). From the heartwarming moments to the adrenaline-pumping scenes, familiar stories offer a guaranteed “emotional payoff” (Source). We know exactly when to laugh, when to cry, and when to cheer, making each viewing a deeply immersive experience that touches our hearts and stirs our souls.

One of the joys of rewatching lies in the opportunity to uncover hidden gems and nuances that may have escaped our notice during previous viewings. Just as a well-loved book reveals new insights with each reread, “familiar shows offer layers of depth and complexity waiting to be explored” (Source). Whether it's subtle foreshadowing, nuanced character interactions, or clever Easter eggs planted by the creators, repeated viewings allow us to peel back the layers of storytelling and appreciate the craftsmanship behind our favorite narratives. 

In the end, the appeal of rewatching shows lies in the simple joy of repetition. Like a comforting tradition, revisiting familiar stories brings us a sense of joy and contentment. It's a chance to escape the pressures of everyday life and immerse ourselves in worlds where the familiar becomes extraordinary. So when I eventually rewatch Suits for the fifth time, I am going to embrace the joy of rewatching and savor the magic of storytelling.

Image from Google. Please watch this show, you will not regret it.

Comments

  1. Hi Mritsa! I am happy that my blog about the freakish photographic nature of Mike Ross from the drama series Suits inspired your blog you wrote for this week! After being a few seasons into the series, I will admit and agree with your assessment that the series is very exhilarating and captivating—maybe a bit too captivating considering finals and AP seasons are rapidly approaching. Switching to the topic of your blog, I also shared your same question as to what is the motivating behind our thinking which encourages us to rewatch series considering we already know how the plot ends. I personally have been rewatching my favorite movies over the past few months. Ultimately, I agree with your argument that we are drawn to rewatch or reread movies, series, books to revisit the emotional thrill or feelings which captivated us the first time. I personally connect with this as when I was rewatching one of my favorite movies of all time, Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar, I recalled the same thrill of the unknown which I experienced when I first saw it with my dad many years ago. Ultimately, I find the best movies written by the best directors and writers are able to effectively capitalize on this revival of emotions to create the most appealing pieces of literature and media. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mritsa! I enjoyed reading your blog about rewatching movies and shows that we have already watched. I have never thought about the reason why I watch these media again even though I already know the ending. I found great interest in your detailed explanation of the thoughts we experience when we make this decision. Now that you brought up the topic, I am truly wondering why I go back to watch movies that I have already watched numerous times. Despite reaching the point at which I can recount the exact chronological order of a movie, I still like watching it. As you skillfully communicated, the “familiarity” and “emotional resonance” that comes with rewatching shows and movies is the primary motivation. I particularly liked how you contrasted these terms with the “ever-changing world,” which was a unique analysis of this situation. The vivid language that you employed in conveying your message made your blog extremely effective because it made the writing more compelling and clear. Nevertheless, I know that there have been several times when I felt like I was bored with a movie and thought I would never watch it again for that reason. Yet, only a few weeks later, I would end up looking for it and watching it in its entirety. I find the versatility of our memory to be strange, sometimes forming a stronger bond with our past and other times weakening that connection. Our memories of movies and shows serve to allure us to relive the past by rewatching them, whereas our painful memories act as a warning to avoid a repeat of the past. Memory is truly a one-of-a-kind concept.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Julia, Week 12 - I Don't Have Time to Make a Creative Title

Mritsa Week 12: The Power of Social Media

Mritsa Week 14: Lake Tahoe