Kallie, Week 14: The Doorway Effect

Perhaps you've heard of the "Doorway Effect." Chances are, even if you haven't, you've experienced it at least once in your life.

The supposed doorway effect occurs when people forget things after walking through a doorway. For example, you might get up to grab a glass of water, only to forget what you got up to do after passing through the doorway out your room.


Image from Ms. Lennon's Blog

According to Bond University, the idea originates from a 2011 study by researchers at the University of Notre Dame, in which they found that people were more likely to forget things after passing through doorways. They theorized that the brain had a tendency to erase those memories after passing through a threshold, as it believed that those memories were less likely to be relevant in the new context.

However, more recent research has found that the doorway effect is not as simple or pronounced as previously thought.

Researchers at Bond University attempted to replicate the experiments in 2021, and found that the doorway effect only occurs if someone is "'cognitively in a vulnerable state.'" In other words, the brain has to be working hard already for the doorway effect to occur.

Furthermore, they found the doorway effect to be less pronounced than in other studies, which they believe is because the simulations they used had the test subjects transition between identical rooms. 

Thus, they concluded that the doorway effect is likely not caused by the doorway itself, but rather by changes in environmental context. The brain "compartmentalizes memories from different environments and contexts," and "'transitioning between compartments'" can mean losing some things in the process.

So, the next time you forget something after walking through a doorway, now you’ll know the real reason why. Or perhaps, you’ll forget this, too.


Comments

  1. Hi Kallie,
    Your blog post provides valuable insights into the intricacies of human memory and how environmental context influences cognitive processes. It's intriguing to learn about the evolution of research on this topic, from its initial discovery to more recent findings challenging the simplicity of its explanation. The realization that the doorway effect is not solely attributed to physical doorways but rather to changes in environmental context adds a layer of complexity to our understanding. Your explanation of how the brain compartmentalizes memories and the potential for loss during transitions between contexts is both enlightening and thought-provoking. Understanding that the doorway effect occurs primarily when the brain is already in a "cognitively vulnerable state" underscores the importance of mental preparedness and mindfulness in our daily activities. Your blog post encourages readers to approach forgetfulness with curiosity and understanding, rather than frustration, fostering a positive and exploratory mindset toward understanding the workings of the human mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kallie! The title of your blog caught my attention because I find great interest in reading about the psychological effects of quotidian activities. And I am pleased to say that I was not disappointed in your blog. Although I have not particularly heard the term “doorway effect,” I think I have unknowingly experienced it several times. I enjoyed reading your explanation of research from a reputable source that pertains to this topic. It is fascinating that our brain instantly recognizes if we are in a new environment and adapts to it. I think we fail to comprehend the immense capacity of our brains, which are continually operating without our knowledge. The brain controls our breathing, blinking, and many other processes within our body without requiring us to make a conscious effort. Therefore, it is understandable that the brain occasionally has a complete lapse when it is working hard since it is already performing all of these crucial functions. I would consider myself to have a good memory, so I treasure it as one of my best abilities. Consequently, when I forget something simple like what I was about to do, it annoys me more than it should. I hate whenever I perform badly in an activity that I’m usually good at, which includes remembering things. Nevertheless, I know that there are certain effects like the doorway effect that I cannot always avoid. Especially since I often work for hours straight, my brain is overwhelmed at times, which results in me forgetting things. Therefore, I cannot be too upset when I do end up forgetting something as simple as what I was about to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kallie! I enjoyed reading your—bizarre but very relatable—informative and analytical blog about the impact different environments can have on the human mind and memory. While reading your blog I made a connection to the content I learned during the summer of last year while taking a psychology class. I recalled how the brain has specific compartments which it associates with specific aspects of our life or memories. As a result, I personally have experienced the so-called “doorway effect” in multiple scenarios over the course of this year. I personally associate my room with charging my phone; however, whenever I need to get a hoodie or jacket from my room I—by default—attempt to charge my phone even if it has a full battery percentage. I also have personal experiences which validates your argument that this only occurs during a “cognitively…vulnerable state” as I usually go into this autopilot mode whenever I am occupied with a pressing task or am rushed to leave my home soon. While reading your blog post, I also wondered what occurs in the brain activity as---of course---memories cannot be “erased” in seconds. Does brain activity decrease? Does critical thinking decrease? Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kallie! I had a fantastic time reading your blog this morning! It was all-around flawless—from the gentle hook to the highly comprehensible review to the well-thought conclusion that nicely ties it all up. Funny thing, I’ve been experiencing this “Doorway Effect” quite often recently, but I never got the motivation to go out and look for explanations. It is nice to cross paths with this phenomenon again, albeit from a scientific perspective. I took a crack at reading the article that you referenced and to be honest it was quite difficult to process. Not only did you do a better job at highlighting the main scientific concepts but you also fared well at engaging readers. Your introduction exemplifies this idea: you acknowledge and invite people who have heard of the “Doorway Effect,” in addition to those who are new to the concept. As someone who is new to the term per se, I felt welcomed enough to keep reading on. Now, for the study itself, I found its conclusions quite fascinating. The idea that memories are modified and completely deleted based on the context is mind-blowing and seemingly important for our daily lives. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Julia, Week 12 - I Don't Have Time to Make a Creative Title

Mritsa Week 12: The Power of Social Media

Mritsa Week 14: Lake Tahoe