Vishruth Week 10: Power and Happiness

Does being in a position of power at work, with friends, or in a romantic relationship create happiness?

While many of us may think no, a 2013 psychology study suggests otherwise.

Yona Kifler and colleagues from the University of Tel Aviv found that on average over 16% of those in power felt more satisfied with their life. They observed that this trend was most conspicuous in the workplace, where high-ranking employees felt 26% happier than “powerless employees.” 

On the other hand, the power-happiness association was almost nonexistent in friendship and romantic relationships. The researchers reasoned that people feel more authentic and congruent to their desires when in power, which in turn, elevates levels of happiness. But because familial and friendly relationships are associated with a sense of community rather than hierarchy, power is “less important” in these circumstances.

Kifler’s study reveals a crucial reality about human nature: we like to flaunt and abuse our power when we feel insecure. At school, I’ve noticed that power is synonymous with academic skill and accomplishment. Some of us become excessively domineering and overstep our authority when we feel intellectually confident. And we continue to act this way because it brings pleasure.

I am guilty myself. Last year, in chemistry honors, I refused to modify my lab procedures even if that meant improving them. I assumed that because I performed better in the class than my lab mates, I was always right and they were always wrong. One of my partners helped me recognize how ridiculously I was acting. Ashamed, I took a different approach from then on. Before every lab, I engaged in discussion within my lab group, adjusting the procedure until we all came to an agreement. Although we made mistakes, the friendship that we built is something that I now look back on and value much more than the short-lived content I would find after ignorantly leading labs. The smiles I cracked by conversing with my lab partners far outshone the satisfaction I felt when using my “power.”

So yes, power can create happiness, but not in the way we think. By putting our power to the side and focusing on building rigid relationships, we can almost certainly guarantee long-lasting and real happiness.

Comments

  1. Hey Vishruth! I enjoyed reading your analysis of power and its association with happiness. I found it interesting that power made people happier in the workplace but had negligible effects in more personal relationships. I think this is in part due to the special connection we feel with those closer to us, which makes it undesirable to dominate them. On the other hand, the workplace places high value on its hierarchy. Different roles command different levels of respect, making power a significant concept here. Gaining immense respect and having people responsible only to you can spark a sense of happiness, so an increase in power directly correlates to an increase in happiness. Nevertheless, I was captivated by the anecdote you described to highlight the role of power. I agree that academic success leads to a sense of power in a school environment, and I myself have fallen victim to assuming I was correct simply because I performed better. However, I came to the realization that I needed to let go of this misconception. No one is always right. Therefore, discussing the topic with others was the best way to achieve the best results. This illustrates the importance of people being cognizant of how arrogant they are. As the saying goes: “With great power comes great responsibility.” This includes placing a limit on how much you let that power dominate your actions. Your anecdote illustrates a situation in which a sense of power controlled the way you behaved around your group. Power can inspire a great feeling, but it can rapidly have consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vishruth! I enjoyed reading your blog about happiness and its relation to power dynamics in relationships. I enjoyed your usage of a plethora of empirical data while depicting your stance as this is a very complex, psychological, and philosophical discussion to be had. A connection I made while reading your blog was a book by Professor Galloway (also known as Professor G), a NYU Stern business professor and well known author/speaker, titled The Algebra to Happiness. In his book Professor Galloway discusses what qualities, traits, and traditions lead to real happiness. One of his most important findings was having a sense of humility with the world and respecting everyone for who they are, similar to the finding from your anecdote in Chemistry. Like you pointed out, it seems that in positions of authority, power and status of course will play a major factor in those specific relationships; however, I do agree with your assessment on how personal friendships require a different sense of understanding not solely based on a hierarchy. I find that friendships require mutual respect for each individual--making sure to have a transparent and equal friendship. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this interesting topic and study with us. I think it's a thought-provoking piece that compels myself and other readers to reflect upon our own behavior, and maybe grow into a better person through it.

    I can't say that I'm particularly surprised by the results of the study, although I will say that I wonder if some of disparity is less about the feeling of having power itself, and more about the tangible results of holding power. For example, someone in a higher-ranking position in work is likely to be able to delegate tasks to their underlings more often, while a "powerless employee" can only dutifully do whatever work is thrust upon them. One can imagine that the first person would be happier than the latter as a result.

    It also makes sense that the disparity shrinks for family and friendly relationships, especially the latter; after all, most people desire for their friends to be their equal peers, and derive enjoyment from that equality.

    I especially liked the inclusion of your personal anecdote, because it made me think about situations where I behaved in a similarly unbecoming way. I think we should all strive to correct ourselves in the way that you did, and not let our superiority complexes get in the way of us finding happiness among our peers, as equals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Julia, Week 12 - I Don't Have Time to Make a Creative Title

Mritsa Week 12: The Power of Social Media

Mritsa Week 14: Lake Tahoe