Sanchay Devnath Week 10: Power in Attention

The internet. What is it? Does it “uplift” society? Or does it “deteriorate” the minds of its users? Regardless of how a person uses the internet, it is safe to say it is a central part of society. Being the key to free access to an infinite library of information, the internet takes up more of our attention every year. This attention has become the currency of the modern era, from monetization through ads to employment productivity in large companies. However, since attention equates to money in the contemporary economy, people struggle to hold onto their attention as it is stolen by apps meticulously designed to do so-- this strips away their control over their lives. We see this every day, people binge Netflix shows on the weekend, causing them to have a night of poor sleep on Sundays before their work week begins, Gen Z consumes averages of four to six hours of screen time on their phones, and the drop in productivity experienced by the dwindling of people's attention span due to excessive time spent scrolling on their phones.

How can people combat this issue? How can individuals retain their attention and ensure they defeat the multi-billion dollar tech companies vying for it? According to Scripps Health, the number one way to do so is by "Keep[ing] track of your screen time," specifically on your phone. This will allow you to keep yourself accountable while having a quantity to compare your past usage with. Regardless of how you decide to tackle this dilemma, it is certain that your attention has power.


Political cartoon describing Gen Z's relation to Screen Time

Comments

  1. Hi Sanchay! Your blog offers a thoughtful examination of the internet's dual role as both a catalyst for societal advancement and a potential detriment to individual well-being. By framing the internet as a central aspect of modern society, you effectively capture its pervasive influence on our lives. Through the use of compelling examples, such as the prevalence of excessive screen time and its impact on productivity and sleep, your blog effectively highlights the challenges posed by the digital age. You also provide practical advice for mitigating the negative effects of internet usage by advocating for individuals to monitor their screen time. This suggestion not only empowers your audience to take control of their digital consumption but also highlights the importance of self-awareness in navigating the complexities of the online world. Overall,your blog stimulates meaningful reflection on the implications of internet usage, encouraging readers to consider how they can strike a balance between harnessing its benefits and safeguarding their attention and well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that the internet, whether I use it on my "hand-held computer device" or on an actual computer, eats up a good amount of my attention. My screen time has recently been reaching an unacceptable amount of hours as well and my attention to more important things has started to become overwhelmed as I become more drawn towards the benefits of the internet. While I'd like to thank the internet for granting me with the "infinite library" you mention in your blog--as I might not be as knowledgeable as I am now if I didn't use it--I strongly agree with your argument on how we start to become victims of the internet's power. However, I have to admit that I do slightly disagree with what your included source has concluded would be the "number one way" to fix this issue. I would not just count on screen time to be my way of keeping track of my internet usage, I would instead first decide on alternative activities I can easily do--especially without needing extra knowledge gathered from the internet--and work on doing those more instead of spending excessive time online.
    I liked how you presented this argument in this blog. You start off by also acknowledging the other side of the argument, introducing the internet as a thing that can be really beneficial for us. Then, you start proving how this main pro can easily get outweighed by the cons, including many valid examples that show the reality of overusing the internet in the most brutal fashion. However, I am quite confused as to why the words "'uplift'" and "'deteriorate'" are used in quotation marks. I would understand if you have gathered these words from the same source you used to include the resolution, but I think that impactful words like these don't necessarily need these quotation marks to add emphasis. But still, I appreciate you providing a strong argument on quite a controversial topic. Even I am not entirely sure where I stand in this argument, while I may notice the cons being more relevant than the pros.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pose a series of interesting questions at the beginning of your piece. I personally think that the internet does a little of both; the internet can bring as much goodness as it does harm, and a lot of it comes down to how we use it.

    And on the topic of using the internet, I have to admit that I often end up using the internet far more than I would like. And I am quite aware of how it has harmed my attention span; I often get distracted while working, including—yes!—while writing my blog comments. Having experienced its harms as well as its benefits firsthand, I wholeheartedly agree that it is incredibly important for people to be conscious of their screen time, and try to use their devices responsibly. One such effort that I've made towards curbing my own screen time is resolutely avoiding downloading TikTok, which I recognize the potential addictiveness of. So far, I have been very successful in that, although less so in other avenues. Unfortunately, recognizing the problem is just the first step; I still have a long way to go. Nonetheless, it is crucial that I—and everyone else—continue to try to make these efforts, lest the internet do us more harm than good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Julia, Week 12 - I Don't Have Time to Make a Creative Title

Mritsa Week 12: The Power of Social Media

Mritsa Week 14: Lake Tahoe